Miter saw is one of the most favorite tools of veteran wood artists. It can cut across a wood at any angle you want, that’s why it is awarded as the most versatile saws in the market.
Many people like it because of its versatility, many like it because of its usefulness, and almost all of them like it because of the superior cuts it gives.
But is using a miter saw safe and easy?
The answer is simple: if you take safety measures and careful during the work, there should not be any problem. And, if you read this article thoroughly there should not be any problem knowing how to safely use a miter saw.
So, what are we waiting for!
Let’s know all there is to know about the miter saw and pocket 3 tips to safely use a miter saw.
3 Simple Tips to Safely Use your Miter Saw!
Note: Take a few minutes to read the article thoroughly and avoid a visit to the hospital. If you consider these tips, you will have a forever safely cutting experience.
Tip 1: Gather the Safety Gears:
It is of no surprise that I’m going to recommend gathering the safety gears. There are numerous accidents happen just because the operators do not know how to set up the miter saw properly or do not set-up the miter saw correctly.
Sometimes the operators try to make a small piece, while their hands are very close to the miter saw, which is also a major problem. Other accidents occur because the worker believes that he or she has complete control, but in reality, they don’t. As a result, accidents happen.
You can avoid these dangers by simply taking some time to get ready as a precautionary measure. Your journey should begin by making sure that the following pieces of equipment are ready to protect yourself. ( Looking for miter saw for furniture making work).
- Googles: Even if you use the miter saw for a short period of time or for a minor cut you should always wear goggles. Your eyes are precious and one spec of dust can cause major damage to your eyes.
- Ear Protection: If you are exposed to loud noises for a prolonged period of time, it would simply damage your ear. And, as we all know, miter saws can produce a loud sound. Therefore, it would be a smart decision to use muff types hearing protectors and or earplugs. These would make you safe for the loud volume of noise.
- Gloves: Last but not the least, you should also wear gloves in order to protect your hands or fingers. If you wear gloves there are no potentially harmful effects and it saves your precious hands. So, why not use them?
Therefore, you should have all the three types of equipment and took off all types of jewelry before you begin. At the same time, make sure that you are not wearing any excessively loose clothes. Now that you are safe, let’s proceed into the way you can have a safe operation.
Tip 2: Safety Checks Before Using the Miter Saw:
First and foremost, make sure that the miter saw is disconnected before starting the miter saw. You need to make sure that al the guards are in the right place and functioning properly.
Ask yourself, whether the lower guard is clean? If not, then clean the lower guard before using it. Then you need to check the blade. Are the blades secured and properly placed?
Are the blades becoming dull and blunt? Are those in need of adjustment or sharpening? You need to answer all these questions and find the possible solutions?
Tip 3: Instructions for safe cuts:
Now that you have all the protective gear and prep is also done, it’s time to get into cutting. All you need to do is follow the 4 simple instructions and you would have the safest cutting experience.
- If possible, use clamps to make sure that the materials are secure on the miter saw. If by any chance you cannot find the best clamps make sure that you have a great hold on the material. If you are dealing with the long materials, you need to support it with a table that has the same height.
- You should not cut small pieces with the miter saw. Make sure that there are always six inches of distance between your fingers and the table. This is impossible if you are using small pieces.
- If you cannot have proper vision because of the lower guards, then immediately stop what you are doing and then clean the lower guard. Once the guards are clean you would be able to clearly see when you use a miter saw. It would also help you with the movement.
- Last but not least, once you are done with a cut, release the trigger and then have a waiting period to completely stop the blade before raising it. It would help you to have a smoother cut and maintain great safety.
Use the abovementioned tips and follow these regularly while using a miter saw. These would keep yourself safe and your family happier. At the same time, it would increase the satisfaction you would receive from the job. A specialized in crown moulding miter saw make your Crown Molding cut much more easier.
Miter Saws are the Most Useful
It would be difficult to find someone who thinks that the miter saws are not useful. But I want to argue that it is the most useful of the tools. Even the most novice operator can use a miter saw and easily use to perform its many functions. You would find two types of saws, in general. Choose an ideal Bevel make your job easier.
In the first kind, you have to transfer your material through the blade (like the table saw), and in the second kind, you have to move the blade through the material. Miter saws are also commonly known as the chop saw, has the second function, you have to move your blade through the material.
With the help of a miter saw, you can have various types of cuts like repeated, crosscuts, and so on. You can make these cuts with accuracy and precision. So, there you go I have discussed, in this article, how to safely use your miter saw safely and why the miter saws are best of the kinds.
If you want to know any more about the miter saw, feel free to comment below.
And, of course, happy crafting!
Frequently Asked Questions
Always follow safety precautions to avoid any several injuries. For example, you can wear protective glass, gloves, safety boots, hard hats, and, importantly, put on a high-quality face shield. Besides, wearing those, make sure to keep hearing protection to avoid excessive noise, and use a safety mask to stay safe from respiratory problems. At last, properly attach fences and blade guards by following the instruction manual.
Try to protect your hands before maintaining or using the saw blade. Without knowing the miter saw capabilities, never apply the saw to cut ferocious metals. As a beginner, never use the saw without knowing the safety rules. Notably, the fences and blade guards must be appropriately attached to the saw tightly. Never place your saw on any unstable surface. Significantly, never miss putting a proper dust extraction bag to avoid air pollution.
Indeed, crossing your arms while spinning the miter saw can be dangerous if you do not become a skilled person. For example, if you operate the saw from your right hand, it will become very difficult to secure the tool with your left hand. Because in the unconscious period, your left hand might appear near the saw blade, and accidents will occur quickly. This is why you should use your left hand to use the saw and your right hand to secure it.