When it comes to customizing your home, crown molding acts like a decoration part. Although crown molding was very limited for wood based work practice, day by day, it is being used in all decorative areas. But crown molding does not seem easy as it requires perfect tools, patience, effort, and creativity as well. Especially if you don't know how to cut crown molding with a compound miter saw, the problem becomes challenging with high risks.
Proper instructions and secret tips from professionals will show you the right way to create accurate and valuable crown molding. Considering the matter, today, we will describe all the relevant information and tips to make perfect crown molding in your home decoration project. So, keep your eyes on our article, and let’s start knowing.
Knowledge of Cutting Angles
When you try to create crown molding, you will require proper knowledge of cutting angles. Indeed, the perfect combination of a compound miter saw with a stable miter saw stand will help you to make effective and precious cuts at any angle. Mainly, in the construction of a wide crown molding, the fence and table of the compound saw would act as walls and ceilings to make the best combination.
Note that when you attempt to cut a flat angle with a compound miter saw, you must set the angle according to the flat method. Now, we will shortly describe the angle variations one by one below:
While making excellent crown molding cuts on any wood materials, you can't ignore the corner angle aspect. If you fail to cut the correct and valuable corner angles, you will not be able to join the other parts side by side. This is why you must focus more on cutting edges, and do not forget that all corner angles do not always stay in 90° measurement. To solve the following problem, you can take a protractor. This will help you to gauge the corner angle perfectly. (learn how to cut baseboard inside corners with miter saw easily.)
With the help of the spring angle, you can create unique types of cuts between 38 to 52 degrees. This angle actually helps to tilt the saw away from the fence and toward the roof. In order to make the spring angle cut, you can take your protractor and then set it between the crown molding and the fence. Make sure your hand stays stable and adjust the protractor tightly to the areas.
Miter and Bevel Angles
Once you get enough knowledge on spring and corner angles, you can now decide on the perfect miter, and bevel angles for your compound miter saw. By following the bevel angle chart, you can decide on both angles easily. In this case, you can use an angle finder or a crown molding miter to make perfect cuttings.
Steps To Cut Crown Molding With A Compound Miter Saw
Now, we will know all the important steps to cut crown molding with a compound miter saw. Remember, it is a secure and professional guide. So, if you follow all the steps accordingly, hope you will get the best result all the time. ( Do you want to Square A Miter Saw, this article is for you.)
The cutting step of crown molding can be done in three different processes. One is the nested method, the next one is the cope method, and the last one is the flat method. But those steps will require an ideal compound miter saw to make a perfect result. For your information, we will show the important steps one by one so that you can pass them accordingly and get a perfect crown molding result.
Before you get to the main step, you'll need some special tools to get the perfect finish at every end. So, get the following items below:
- Compound miter saw
- Angle chart (Applicable to the flat method)
- Proper safety kit
Step No: 1- Organize Your Tools and Put on Safety Kits
No matter where and what task you are going to complete, you must first organize your tools and gather all the safety kits at hand. Most of the people do not give importance to this matter, and they think that they can complete the work without these essential elements. As a result, they face unexpected problems in various ways and risk their lives in this risky work.
So, if you want to stay free from injuries and do not want to pay higher money on hospital bills, you should wear the following safety kits:
Protective goggles will secure your eyes from any tiny wooden piece
Heavy duty work gloves will protect your hands and make your hands flexible while holding materials for long.
A protective face mask is another essential safety element that keeps you safe from sawdust and allergens.
Lastly, a construction hat will work really great to protect your head from any unexpected injuries.
Step No: 2- Set Your Tools and Make a Trial Test
In the next process, you have to set the saw with all the necessary equipment. While doing it, make sure you place the saw blade in the exact position, tighten the fence and guards, and set the compound saw in the middle of the table saw.
Once you complete the installation steps, now it is better to make a trial test through it. Remember, going through a trial test will remove all your doubts about the job, and it will boost your confidence level to make the amazing cut finally.
No doubt, the compound miter saw is the best tool to make crown molding as it helps you to spread your materials flatly on the surface and ensures excellent stability. This is why you should try more and more to make accurate cuts in the trial version with it.
Step No: 3- Crown Molding Inside Corners
Now, this is the important step in which you will learn how to cut crown molding inside corners. First, put the lid of the molding in opposition to the fence.
In order to make perfect inside left corners for your crown molding, you must place the bevel at 33.9 degrees to the left. Next, place your miter table to the right at 31.6 degrees. While cutting the following way, you can save your left part of the materials properly.
On the other hand, the right inside corner for your crown molding will also require some geometry like the left one. At this moment, you have to position the bevel at 33.9 degrees to the right. Next, place your miter table to the left at 31.6 degrees. In this way, you can save the right part of the materials properly.
Step No: 4- Crown Molding Outside Corners
Once you know the correct way to make crown molding inside corners, now you will be able to make the outside corners very easily. The process is almost the same. But you have to do it in the opposite way.
In order to make perfect outside left corners for your crown molding, you must place the bevel at 33.9 degrees to the right. Next, place your miter table to the left at 31.6 degrees. While cutting the following way, you can save your left part of the materials properly.
On the other hand, the right outside corner for your crown molding will also require some geometry like the left one. At this moment, you have to position the bevel at 33.9 degrees to the left. Next, place your miter table to the right at 31.6 degrees. In this way, you can save the right part of the materials properly. ( Effective tricks with proper information to cut trim at a 45-degree angle without a miter saw.)
Tips To Use Compound Miter Saw Safely
Besides knowing the basic steps of delicate and precious crown molding cut with a compound miter saw, you should learn the professional tips to make professional finishing. These professional tips will not only help you make your cut unique but also help you to raise the level of your work. So, follow the tips one by one:
- If you own a single bevel compound miter saw, you cannot move the saw head up to 180 degrees. It has limited one sided functionality, and it can perform on a single side at a time. That means if you want to make crown molding on both sides of the material, your typical single bevel miter saw won't do it.
- In that case, you either need to learn professional tips on using a single bevel miter saw on both sides at a time, or you can buy a double bevel miter saw instead.
- After following the crown molding conditions, you should set the miter and bevel angles accordingly. Not all types of crown molding adjust with the same miter saw. This is why you should match the miter saw with your work condition first.
- No matter how much one is confident about his work, everyone must read and follow the instruction manual before they handle the compound miter saw. While taking the miter saw in your hand, you must engage with its functionality.
- Do not miss the practice sessions. It is really effective to make your cut perfect at any angle. Take some scrap pieces, and then try to make crown molding on them. Remember, without proper practice, one cannot stand well in his position.
- When choosing between inside or outside corners, you should go for the inside corner first. Making crown molding inside corner is comparatively easier than the outside one, and it can be done very quickly. After completing the inside corner, you can use tape to measure the outside corners.
- To get an outstanding result from a compound miter saw, you should insert the appropriate saw blade in it. In that case, the BT teeth diamond saw blade works really great for long usage.
- Remember, all the mentioned steps are applicable to wood materials only. So, if you want to make the same cuts on steel materials, you need to switch on a different miter saw and blades as well.
- After finishing your work with your favorite compound miter saw, never keep the saw near the table edges.
Cutting crown molding with a compound miter saw won't seem difficult and troublesome if you give your proper effort and skills to it. If you want to save your money from the large budget for home customization, we will suggest making your own crown molding by yourself with help of the top quality crown moulding saw. This is the best way you can easily make your favorite shape and increase your working level high to your expectations.